1/2 C Kidney Beans
1 C Black Negro Beans
1/2 C Yellow corn
2 Stalks Celery
1 Big Onion,finely chopped
1 Green pepper,finely chopped
1 Red pepper ,finely chopped
1 Carrot ,finely chopped
5 Tomato (medium sized)OR (1-12oz.) Crushed tomato can
4 cloves Garlic,Chopped finely
2 Jalapeno pepper,finely chopped (optional)
2 tsp Cayenne Pepper or more as per your taste
1 1/2 tsp Salt as per your taste
2 Bay leaves
1/2 tsp Cumin pwd
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp dried oregano leaves
3/4 C Water
1-1/2 Tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp Black pepper (or to your taste)
Juice of 1 small Lemon
Fresh Cilantro, chopped (optional)
QUICK & EASY METHOD:
1. Soak all the dry beans overnight, add salt and pressure cook till tender.
2. Bring 2 to 3 cups of water to boil then place the tomatoes and cover,keep it for 5 minutes.(Follow step 2 if not using Crushed tomato can)
3. On medium heat, in a wok add oil, finely chopped garlic and bay leaves.
4. Once the garlic is slightly browned, add the chopped onions and stir till it is slightly brown now add celery, bell pepper, carrot, jalapeno peppers.
5. Saute for 10 minutes and now add the peeled and crushed tomatoes,corn, water,cayenne pepper, salt, cumin/coriander powder, oregano leaves,cooked beans and simmer for 30 minutes. Depending on your preference adjust the consistency by adding more or less water.
6. Add black pepper,lemon juice and cilantro.
7. Add your choice of shredded cheese for absolute kid friendly palate, while also briefing them what is the goodness of this recipe when you sit together for dinner tonight.
8. Serve it with your choice of bread.
SLOW COOK METHOD:
For slow cook method soak beans overnight and follow step 2,3,4,5,6 and 7. Just combine all ingredients INCLUDING soaked beans except the lime juice in a large slow cooker. Cook on low about 2-3 hours. Constantly stirring and checking for right consistency. Stir in the lime juice. Serve with tortilla chips. OR with corn bread.
Tip: Add your choice of shredded cheese for absolute kid friendly palate, while also briefing them what is the goodness of this recipe when you sit together for dinner tonight.