Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Vegetable Puff Pastry

Vegetable Puff Pastry: Vegetable Puffs are a wonderful snack option for the days that you want something quick super easy to make yet super yummy. I remember I used to indulge these in college canteen humm..it was my favorite snacks any time of the day. I always keep a package of these puffs in my freezer, and you can have endless options for the stuffing..from sweet to savory, paneer, cheese, mix vegetable...and so on. The one I made is 0 Transfat

baked goodies


How to Thaw and Use Puff Pastry Sheets: 
 Read the instructions on the pack.
1. Take out the packet about 1 hour before you want to use it. 
2. Place it on a liberally floured surface and roll it out firmly to about 1/2" thickness. 
3. Cut out into long rectangles for puffs or other shapes depending on your use.

Ingredients:
Any Ready made Puff Pastry Sheets  1 pack (0 Transfat)
Water to brush along the sides.

Filling:
3 Plantain (cooking banana) or Potatoes, peeled-boiled -chopped           
2 Carrots,peeled-boiled- chopped
1 Medium Bell pepper, chopped
1 tsp or acc to taste dry Parseley/1 Tbsp cilantro
1/2 C Green Peas
1 Medium Yellow Onion
2 pods of Garlic
1" Ginger, finely chopped
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
Salt to taste

Spices:
1/2 tsp Coriander-Cumin Powder       
1/2 tsp Paprika/redchili powder
1 tsp Garam Masala powder
1 tsp Amchur(Dry Mango Powder)


baked goodies


Prepare & Bake:

A. In a pan/pot, heat oil, add mashed banana/potatoes, rest of the vegetables, add salt and let it cook for a while untill its cooked fully.

B. Mix with all spices & set aside.

1. Pre-heat the oven to 375°F. 
2. On a flour dusted board roll out these rectangle sheets upto 1/2" thickeness, cut 3 equall squares from these sheets.
3. Stuff a spoonfull of filling into these squares and flip the other end to form a triangle shape. Or place the filling in the center and lift all the corners to close it 
firm, brushing little water on its edges, making sure the filling is nicely intact to form a square shape..check the picture.
4. For a nice golden look, brush/spray oil on these pastries. 
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes till it raises & forms a golden brown crust.
6. Enjoy hot with ketchup/or as it is...

My favorite Home made dip for these puff pastries:
1 C Tomato salsa
2 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup
1 tsp Red Garlic Chutney
Mix everything together and enjoy this with hot vegetable puff pastry.


Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving%DV
Serving Size 37g
Recipe makes 18 servings
Calories 50
Calories from Fat 2142%
Total Fat 2.36g3%
Saturated Fat 0.35g1%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 0mg0%
Sodium 5mg0%
Potassium 131mg4%
Total Carbs 7.66g2%
Dietary Fiber 0.8g3%
Sugars 3.53g2%
Protein 0.48g1%

45 comments:

Ed Schenk said...

Looks like a great meal for Lenten Fridays(or any other day really!).

~ Lopa said...

Ohhh wow, yummm.... i am going to try this one at the soonest...!
Great photos :)

Pari Vasisht said...

This used to be my favorite too in college canteen. I liked ur dip, looks so interesting.

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

a perfect snack with a hot cup coffee would be great for the season my dear..yummy yum yum...this is what I need now comforting snack to boost my energy:)

Simplyfood said...

Puffs look delicious.Beautiful clicks.

Unknown said...

Wow tempting pics....luv to snack on puffs anytime!

Parita said...

I miss the frozen puff pastry sheets the most in india...puffs look yummy and very tasty filling!

Preeti Kashyap said...

This is so yummy! I love it!

Trendsetters said...

veg puff is my fav..I always have them when I got to India...

Hayley said...

Looks so perfect and delicious!!i made them too last weekend..soon I am posting it...:))

Veggie Hut said...

very very yummmm... lovely pics..

Vrinda said...

These r my fav..looks crispy yummmmmmmmm

Nithya said...

Looks so yummy.. :)

PJ said...

I love veg puff pastries too.. so versatile, right! Love the filling you made with plantain..

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

looks awesome and perfect

Swathi said...

Sadhana and muskan.

i like vegetable puffs too. yours look really nice

Priya Suresh said...

My all time favourite...love puffs anytime..

Jyoti V said...

yumm...nice pic too

Cham said...

They just look wonderful and very tempting!

Anupama said...

Wow wow wow... you've just made me crave for these, and 0 transfat, who wouldn't want those puffs??!!!

Padma said...

Looks so crispy and yummy. Perfect evening snack.

Sandhya Hariharan said...

Anytime... game for this lovely snack.. Nice click :)

Pavithra Elangovan said...

wow I definitely say no to this ... wish i am near ur place to enjoy ur wonderful snack...

Anu Nandu said...

Just made puff pastry last saturday for a party at home! I love these too - they are so easy to make and the savory ones go great with maggi hot and sweet. However, I've never tried your filling with plantains - i use the mix veggie and paneer ones - but should try yours soon!

Pavani said...

Veg. puffs look yumm.. Adding plantain is a nice idea.

Savi-Ruchi said...

very true.., these puff pastry sheets are very useful especially for Indians outside India :) Whenever I miss the Iyengar Bakery Puffs here, I get a pack of puff pastry sheets, prepare it & relish thoroughly. Your pictures look great

notyet100 said...

thy look so crispy,..:-)

lubnakarim06 said...

Carving for some right now...looks extremely yummy....

Priya Narasimhan said...

lovely lovely...photos are too good..unfortunately we don't get pastry sheets here. but i can try the filling..really nice.

Reshmi said...

i thot itz nt easy to make puffs..but now i feel its better than the best..adding plantain to this would be a new idea...mostly this would be a tea time snack and specially love kids na...nice puffs...

Angie's Recipes said...

What a perfect flaky vegetarian treat!

Deepa G Joshi said...

oh my favorite snack..love these anytime of the day, also love the dip which you mentioned. great combination..

ruchikacooks said...

Oh, they look so divine..with all the layers puffing up to golden color..can have it with tea anyday.

Suparna said...

the pastry sheets are something that I'm praying to be launched in Indian markets as I miss making the umpteen puffs :(
The puffs u've made are making me hungry :)
TC

Tina said...

Looks crispy and delicious...

Sailaja Damodaran said...

Nice snack for evening tea.

Siddhi Shirsat said...

wow this puffs look very yummy, evn i love thm n thy r indeed very easy to prepare

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

mmm, no more waiting am coming to visit you... They look so divine and tempting!!!

http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com

Rohini said...

I simply wanna grab some from the screen right away!!!! So tempting pics... :)

Unknown said...

looks tempting!!

Fathima said...

What a perfect snack! You have a great space here... following you now..

Shri said...

Puffs look utterly delicious..I love the way you folded it!Yumm!

Raks said...

Too much tempting! Not fair,I want my share right now!

Spice said...

Crispy & flaky....my all time fav.

Katy ~ said...

I love the presentation of little pockets or "purses" of food like this. A lot of eye appeal and so much goodness on the inside. I can imagine the flaky tenderness of the puff pasty and the wonderful spicy flavors with the choice of vegetables. Soooo good!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...