Friday, February 5, 2010
K. Shah 31 comments
the digestive system that would otherwise end up in the bloodstream.Bananas are an exceptionally rich source of fructooligosaccharide, a compound called a prebiotic because it nourishes probiotic (friendly) bacteria in the colon. These beneficial bacteria produce vitamins and digestive enzymes that improve our ability to absorb nutrients Almonds which is high in monounsaturated fats, that is good for the body and is associated with reduced risk of heart disease. In addition to healthy fats and vitamin E, Magnesium and Potassium. Jaggery (Panela) is a "natural" sweetener made
by the concentration of sugarcane juice WITHOUT the use of any chemicals / synthetic additives or
preservatives. It contains an enormous wealth of minerals / protein / vitamins and iron. Beets get their garnet color from antioxidants called betalains, which help your body detoxify potentially cancer causing substances. Go for raw milk than pasteurized and homogenized milk, which causes higher incidence of milk allergies or lactose intolerance, from organic grass fed cows without any growth hormone or antibiotic.
After school snack is the most important meal in our house, the dining table becomes the vent out place to discuss what all things happened in the school in the whole stressful?? day, so the table should look colorful and tempting as per the kids, at the same time should be nutritious according to me. It is not very difficult to achieve both with little bit of planning and creativity and this is one such snack, which they relish. Using beets instead of artificially flavored strawberry drinks, is much more healthier.
Vegan Fat free Banana Oat Nut Bar
Preparation Time - 10 Minutes
Cooking Time - 20 Minutes
Serves - Makes around 12 bars
Old Fashioned Oats - 1 3/4 cup
Oats Flour - 1/4 cup
Banana – 2 big
Powdered Jaggery(Panela) - 1/2 cup
Chopped Almonds - 1/2 cup
Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
Chopped Dates - 1/4 cup
Toasted Chia seeds – 2 Tbsp
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
1) In a pan add little bit of water to the powdered Jaggery/Panela just to cover the surface and heat
till the jaggery is fully dissolved. Filter it of any impurities and keep it aside.
2) Combine the Oats, Oat flour, flaked almonds, chopped dates, cinnamon powder and salt.
3) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, In a blender puree the banana and add the
banana puree and the jaggery syrup.
to the Oats mixture and mix well and thoroughly.
4) Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and transfer the Oats mixture to the baking pan
and bake till a knife inserted at the center comes out clean.
5) Take it out of the parchment paper and set it aside to cool.
6) Once cooled cut into bars of desired size and store in an airtight container.
7) Can be kept at room temperature for 2 days, refrigerates up to 2 weeks.
Notes – I make these bars quite often, I keep on changing the nuts and dry fruits with
sunflower, pumpkin seeds, dried apricots, figs, raisins, cashews, walnuts, dried cranberries etc
just not to get bored with the same taste.
Banana & Beet Milk
Preparation Time – 5 Minutes
Cooking Time – 15 Minutes
Serves – 2
Beet - 1 Small sized
Banana - 1 Big
Raw milk - 12 oz(1 1/2 cups)
Raw Honey - 1 Tbsp or to taste
Vanilla Extract - 2 drops
Ice cubes - few optional
1) Pressure cook the beet for 3 whistles and keep it aside.
2) Once the beet is cooled, peel it and chop it into small pieces.
3) In a blender add the beet pieces and little bit of milk and make a fine puree out of the beets.
4) To this beet puree, add banana slices and blend well.
5) To this add the milk, raw honey, vanilla extract, ice cubes and blend together and serve.
1) This goes to Kids Delight Wholesome breakfast hosted by Srivalli.