Note: Another variation to this recipe is adding lauki/doodhi (bottle gourd) squash,cabbage, even leftover cooked rice...makes a big hit.......Here is the recipe.
1 C Spinach washed, chopped
2 C Fenugreek Leaves washed, chopped
2 Tbsp Cilantro (Coriander) washed, & chopped
4 Tbsp Gram flour (besan)
2 Tbsp Whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp Semolina (rawa)
1 tsp Green chilli-ginger paste
1/2 tsp turmeric pwd
1/4 red chilli pwd (optional)
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds (jeera)
2 Tbsp Oil
1/4 tsp Soda-bi-carb
1/2 tsp Sugar
3 tsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Sesame Seeds
1 pinch asafoetida (hing) pwd
1 Tbsp Chopped Coriander (Cilantro)
1 Tbsp Grated Fresh/Frozen-thawed Coconut
1. In a bowl, combine spinach & fenugreek leaves.
2. Sprinkle 1 tsp of salt, mix it well and squeeze out all the liquid (If you want to skip this process, make sure you do not add any water while kneading the dough, just mix greens with flour and set aside for a while, it will automatically leave some liquid which you can for the dough)
3. Combine everything mentioned in ingredients in a bowl & Knead into a semi soft dough (mix it thoroughly)
4. Wash your hands and now apply a little oil on your hands, divide the mixture and with your palms roll lenghtwise (as shown in pic) and place these rolls in a steamer.
5. Steam it for 15 - 20 mins or untill done, (as we check the cake, check this roll with a knife, if it comes out clean, that means its done).
6. Remove from the steamer and let it cool at room temperature for a while.
7. On a cutting board, take one roll & with a sharp knife, cut small circles (like we cut the cookie) as shown in picture. Like wise cut all the rolls and keep it aside.
8. Now for tempering, heat oil in a kadai/ skillet, add mustard seeds, as it spluters, add (jeera) cumin & sesame seeds. Add a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
9. Now add all the pieces which are cut and kept aside, slowly in this kadai/skillet, and let it become light brown or slightly cripsy on one side, similarly, with a spatula, very carefully turn it to the other side.
10. Once done, serve hot with Green cilantro chutney / ketchup enjoy these protein rich guilt free snack.
Event Participation: Cooking for Kids leafy greens hosted by Pavani originally started by Sharmi of Neivedyam.