Saturday, February 6, 2010
K. Shah 42 comments
No vegetables, nor green leafy vegetables..not one for 8 straight days.. Yes I am talking about that time of year we just passed where we run out of recipes with no clue what to cook without using those daily food prepared with veggies..Jains celebrate "Paryushan" ( Pari + ushan = all kinds + to burn = to burn (shed) our all types of karmas )every year this very important festival in their community for self-purification and uplift by adhering to the 10 universal virtues in practical life. This is meant to lead adherents on the right path, far from the mad strife for material prosperity, which ultimately leads the follower to his true destination salvation. This special Methi Papad Nu Shaak" goes directly to CWS-Fenugreek, event started by Priya, and hosted at Denufood, also to Yasmeen for hostingHealth Nut Challenge- 4 Bitter Better Health.
Know what you eat:Fenugreek seeds contain hormone precursors that can increase milk production in nursing mothers and it is widely used for insufficient lactation.
Because of the high mucilage content found in the fenugreek seeds it is considered a useful herb for diarrhea. The seeds husks absorb water resulting in bulkier stool.The seeds of Fenugreek contain choline which may be helpful for memory loss and to slow down the aging process. It has been used to treat bronchitis and asthma.,also considered a good herbal remedy for sore throat and coughs. It has also been used as an herb to promote hair growth both in women and men.
Fenugreek has been used for skin irritation, such as ulcers, boils, eczema, dandruff and cellulite.It is used to treat diabetes in adults, can be helpful as a herbal remedy to minimize the symptoms of menopause and it is thought to be helpful for painful PMS. Any reasons not to still eat this magic seed ??????
Cooking time: 10 mins
3 large moong dal papads
1/4 C green or yellow methi (fenugreek) seeds
1 tbsp. oil
1/4 tsp. each cumin & mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. red chilli powder
1/4 tsp. dhania powder
3-4 pinches turmeric
2 pinches asafoetida
Jaggery according to taste
salt to taste
2 C water
1. Boil or pressure cook fenugreek seeds with some salt in water, till soft to touch or 3 whistles.
2. Once cooked, drain the liquid, pour cold water and drain again. Keep aside. (this step is very important to get rid of all the bitterness in fenugreek)
3. Break papad into squares roughly. (keep big pieces)
4. Dissolve dry masalas, salt & jaggery in 1/2 cup water.
5. Heat a heavy pan, add oil, mustard, cumin seeds, allow to splutter, add masala water. Stir.
6. Add remaining water if you need more gravy, methi seeds, bring to a boil.
7. Add moong dal papad pieces, bring back to boil.
8. Cook on low, covered, for 3-4 minutes or till papad is soft.
9. Serve hot with chapati.