Wednesday, February 24, 2010
K. Shah 46 comments
This super yummy-spicy-tangy snack is traditionally sold on the streets of Gujarat. It is another version of vada pav made with a sweet and spicy potato mixture which is filled into a small burger bun and then topped with onion, pomegranate, fresh garlic chutney and sev (optional). Pomegranate, can be easily replaced by black / green grapes cut into small pieces. Great as a side dish, starters, picnics, or a meal in itself. This snack is generally done on pav (bun), but I usually opt for a healthier version for my family, so I choose Whole Wheat Italian Bread, similarly potatoes can be easily replaced by cooking banana (plantain).
1 Foot Long Wheat Italian Bread / 12 Hamburger buns
1 Onion, chopped
1/2 C fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 C peanuts, roasted
2 tsp Fresh garlic chutney
1/2 C fresh pomegranate seeds
6 tbsp Dates & Tamarind chutney
Olive oil, for cooking
For Dabeli Masala: (Increase the ratio for bulk preparation, refrigerate in airtight container)
2 Dry Red chili
1/2" cinnamon sticks
1 tsp Coriander seeds
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
For The Filling:
1 C boiled and mashed potatoes / cooking banana
2 Tomatoes, finely chopped
A pinch asafetida powder
2 tbsp Dates & Tamarind Chutney
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
2 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
1. Roast the masala ingredients in a pan for about 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Grind them to make a fine powder in a coffee grinder, set aside
3. For the filling, heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds to it, until they crackle, then add asafoetida, chopped tomatoes, dabeli masala, salt & let it cook untill tomatoes are fully cooked, then add potatoes & mix well.
4. Remove them from the heat, combine dates-tamarind chutney and mix well.
5. Slit wheat itallian bread or hamburger buns in half, and cook them in a using a little olive oil.
6. Now put 12 equal portion of the filling on the lower half of each bun. OR With the help of a spatula spread the potato mixture on the lower half of itallian bread.
7. Top it with the chopped onion, cilantro, pomegranate, peanuts, garlic chutney and dates-tamarind chutney.
8. Sandwich it with the top halves of the burger buns/bread and serve it. Great for picnics too.