Vaghareli Roti, wholewheat flat bread strips in yogurt sauce, is one of the easiest quick fix for leftover roti's. We make roti, almost everyday, so I have to come up with some variation for the leftover roti, which is healthy yet easy to make.. It taste awesome, can also be accompanied with any side dish like, quick cabbage curry, bell pepper curry etc. Another variation to the same dish can be adding vegetables like carrot, peas, spinach, cabbage...etc would make a whole meal in itself. Enjoy !!
Cooking time: 7- 10 mins
Serves : 2
6 Leftover Roti (Whole Wheat flat bread)
1 C Yogurt, preferably sour
2 tsp Besan ( Bengal gram flour)
Water to dilute
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp coriander-cumin (dhana-jeeru )powder
lemon juice acc. to taste if yogurt is not sour
1 Tbsp Cilantro, Chopped
Salt to taste.
1 Tbsp Olive / Canola Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
2 Slit Green Chillies
Few Chopped Curry Leaves
1/4 tsp Hing (Asafoetida)
1. Mix yogurt and besan (gram )flour & add approximate of 1 Cup of water to dilute this mixture, whisk it nice to avoid lumps.
2. Heat oil in a wok, add mustard seeds, as it spluters, add cumin seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida, then pour above yogurt + besan mixture to it, while constantly stir it.
3. Bring it to boil, add the rest of the ingredients, stir it, and now with your fingers tear apart the flat bread you made (leftover roti) into medium small pieces just like size of potato chips, and put it in this boiling yogurt sauce.
4. Once you add flat bread pieces into this sauce, stir it and put the flame off. Let it sit for a while, as these bread pieces will soak up all the sauce, leaving behind some gravy. Thats perfect consistency.
5. Its ready to serve hot, with some sprinkle of chopped cilantro.
This simple comfort dish goes to WYF Light Meal, hosted by EC