Wednesday, August 26, 2009
K. Shah 5 comments
Know what you Eat - Lentils Give You Energy to Burn While Stabilizing Blood Sugar & Iron for EnergyIn addition to providing slow burning complex carbohydrates, lentils can increase your energy by replenishing your iron stores. Particularly for menstruating women, who are more at risk for iron deficiency, boosting iron stores with lentils is a good idea--especially because, unlike red meat, another source of iron, lentils are not rich in fat and calories.
This is an authentic South Indian savoury donut like made with protein rich Urad Gram and deep fried with the addition of spices and veggies of choice.
Cooking Time - 20 to 30 mins
Preparation Time - 10 mins
Serves - Makes around 10 to 12 dumplings
Urad Daal (Whole White lentil without skin) - 1 cup
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Red chilli - 2 or to taste
Black pepper - 1/2 tsp or to taste
Pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
Salt - 1 tsp or to taste
Curry leaves - handful
Oil for frying
1)Soak the urad dal in a bowl of water for 30 mins.
2) Grind this into batter adding little bit of water as required into a fluffy thick batter adding red chilli, ginger, curry leaves, salt, blackpepper and asafoetida.
3) Heat oil in a pan to make dumplings out of the grind batter
4) Smear your hands with oil and take a tablespoon of batter and put in the center of your one palm and flatten it and make a small hole in the center. (Doughnut shape)
5) Drop the vadas slowly into hot oil and deep fry them in medium heat and then high flame until it becomes golden yellow.
6) Cook, fry the vadas both the side and then serve it with chutney of your choice.
1) This dish goes to the Janmashtami & Ganesh Chaturthi event hosted by Purva.