Whole wheat flour is more nutritious than refined white flour.It is a good source of calcium, iron, and other minerals like selenium.This food is very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Dietary Fiber.
Bhakri, is a thick flat bread, which is censurably rich in ghee/oil. Bhakri is made in more or less the same way, its just the amount of ghee/oil we add makes the bhakri more soft or hard , rather more flakier," my mom calls it biscuit jevi bhakri" but as we all are health conscious. So this is lighter version of the same.
This recipe is not too heavily loaded in oil/ghee. Ingredients:
1 Cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp Soyabean flour
1 Tbsp ghee/ clarified butter/oil
2 tsp whole cumin seeds
Salt to taste.
Frying/Roasting: Oil / Ghee for shallow frying.
1. Knead dough by mixing salt, oil, wheat & soyabean flour & ghee, and water, the dough should be firm/hard. Keep it aside for a while.
2. Roll into a disk little bigger than a puri about 4-5inches.
3. Roast on a hot griddle on a very low to med.flame. Spread some ghee on top. Use wooden tool or spatula to press the bhakri so it doesn't puff up.
4. Flip over and add some more ghee. Keep pressing till it becomes reddish brown on both sides.
1. Serve with vegetable curry of your choice / with milk as in breakfast.