1 C Brown rice, cooked
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium Onion, chopped
2 medium Tomatoes, finely chopped
2 C red bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 Cheese Blend, vegetarian shredded cheese
1 C Black beans,soaked overnight & cooked OR 1- 19ounces Canned Black Beans
1 1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp cumin seeds OR Powder
1/2 tsp Taco Seasoning
1 tsp Cider Vinegar
1/4 tsp Hot sauce, any variety
1/8 tsp freshly Ground Pepper
1/3 C Cilantro, chopped
1/3 C Scallions, chopped
- Soak brown rice for atleast 3-4 hours and cook it. Set aside.
- Pick over beans to remove imperfect beans and any foreign matter. Rinse well in cold running water.Soak overnight cook it. Set aside.
- In a skillet, add cumin seeds and sauté onion, pepper over medium heat until onions are tender and translucent. Add minced garlic and oregano when onions begin to color (about 5 minutes). Do not allow garlic to brown. Add remaining ingredients; except rice, tomatoes and scallions, mix well.
- Stir mixture into beans in saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for a while about 5 mins. Serve over steamed brown rice while still hot.
- Garnish it with chopped tomatoes, scallions, cheese and or cilantro.
- Microwave for 2 mins on high for cheese to melt over.Serve with freshly made salsa.