Ingredients: For the sambar
1 C Toovar dal (split pigeon-pea)
1 Tomato, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
1 C Bottlegourd,(doodhi) cubed
4 small frozen drumstick
1 medium beetroot, peeled and cubed
1 Carrot, peeled and cubed
1 tablespoon tamarind pulp
2 tsp Jaggery (optional)
1/4 C Fresh Cilantro, chopped
salt to taste
For the sambhar masala : I picked up Tarla Dalal's recipe.
6 to 8 red chillies
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
1 tablespoon toovar dal (arhar)
1 tablespoon split Bengal gram (chana dal)
1 tablespoon split black gram (urad dal)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
1 teaspoon oil
For the tempering:
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
6 curry leaves
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
2 tablespoons oil
How to make Sambar Masala:
1. Heat the oil and roast all the ingredients for the sambhar masala in it.
2. Grind to a fine paste in a blender using a little water. Keep aside. (you can dry roast, and then grind into powder too, for later use)
How to make Sambar:
1. Wash and pressure cook the dal, in one pot, and tomato, onion, beetroot, carrot, drumstick with 2 cups of water, in another pot in a pressure cooker, upto 3 whistles.
2. Then add the tamarind pulp, jaggery, sambar masala, salt, chopped cilantro, and 4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
3. Prepare the tempering by heating the oil and frying the mustard seeds, garlic, curry leaves and asafoetida until the mustard seeds crackle. Add this to the sambhar and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Serve hot with Idli/Rice/Dosa/Vada..