Know what you Eat – Peanuts contrary to its name belong to the legume family and are a rich source
of mono unsaturated fat and an array of other nutrients that, in numerous studies, have been shown
to promote heart health. Peanuts are good sources of vitamin E, niacin, folate, protein and manganese.
In addition, peanuts provide resveratrol, the phenolic antioxidant also found in red grapes and red wine.
Apples are a good source of antioxidants and fiber, flavonoids that are good for the heart. You'll get
impressive amounts of flavonoids in the skins and pulp of apples - and these flavonoids have plenty of
tricks up their sleeve for helping protect your heart health. Bananas are a very good source of vitamin B6 and a good source of vitamin C, potassium, dietary fiber, and manganese. Kiwi is a very good source of Vitamin C and also a good source of the important fat-soluble antioxidant, vitamin E. Coconut milk is a good source of a wide range of vitamins, minerals, potassium, folate and other vital nutrients. Almonds are a good source of protein. Raw honey unlike refined sugar doesn’t cause cavitiesand has good medicinal properties.
After school snacks are an important routine in our house and i have to whip up something quick and
easy and nutritious. This is one easy and filling snack. I soak 1 Tbsp of Chia in 3 tbsp of water and serve
this shake on top of the chia gel. Chia gel gives a sense of fullness and is a very good source of omega-3.
This milk shake is very filling and quick to make, you can have this for a quick breakfast too.
Spicy Baked Peanuts
Preparation Time – 10 mins
Cooking Time – 10 – 15 mins
Peanuts – 2 Cups
Split Chick Pea flour – 1/2 cup
Brown Rice flour – 1/4 cup
Red chili powder – 1 tsp or to taste
Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Amchoor powder – 1/2 tsp
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Bake the peanuts for 5-7 minutes in a cookie tray stirring in between till peanuts turn crisp.
3) Let them cool for 5 minutes.
4) Meanwhile thoroughly combine rice flour, chick pea flour, chili powder, salt, turmeric
powder, amchoor powder in a bowl.
5) Now add the cooled peanuts to this mixture and add water little by little, so that the flour is
evenly coated on the peanuts. ( Do not make it runny as the peanuts will turn soggy, just enough
water to coat the flour on the surface of the peanuts).
6) Bake for 10-15 minutes stirring in between, till they are well roasted.
7) Let them cool completely then transfer and store in an airtight container.
Notes - Once out of the oven, they might not look crunchy, but once they are completely cooled
down they are very crunchy indeed and stays good for at least till 10 days.
I am going to try baking the peanuts with brown rice flour, will update the post once done.
I did bake the peanuts with brown rice flour and i couldn't tell any difference in the taste absolutely.
Apple, Banana & Kiwi Coconut Shake
Cooking Time – none
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Serves – 4
Apple – 1
Banana – 1
Kiwi – 2
Almonds – handful soaked overnight
Coconut Milk – 15 oz
Water – 15 oz
Raw honey or Maple syrup for vegan version – 1 tbsp or to taste
Ice cubes (optional)
1) In a blender, blend the almonds adding just enough water to a fine paste.
2) Now add the chopped apple, banana, kiwi and make a fine puree.
3) Now add the coconut milk, rest of the water, honey and ice cubes blend
evenly and serve.
Notes – Do not remove or strain the fiber from the puree. Without any cooking involved
the vitamin in the fruits are intact and also with all the fiber, almonds and coconut milk and
with chia gel it is a very nutritious and wholesome well balanced breakfast for kids.
1) The fruit & coconut milk shake goes to Kids Delight Wholesome breakfast hosted by Srivalli.
2) The fruit & coconut milk shake goes to No cook event hosted by PJ of Seduce your Taste buds.
3) This goes to Healthy Sunday Snack hosted by Divya of Dil Se an event run by Pallavi.
4) The baked peanuts go to MLLA-20th helping hosted by Rachel an event started by Susan.
5) Both the dishes go to Food for Seven Stages of Life Healthy Fast food hosted by Radhika
6) This goes to Think Spice Amchoor hosted by Bhagya of ta5tebuds an event started by Sunita.