Wednesday, October 7, 2009
K. Shah 27 comments
Know what you Eat - Kidney beans are a very good source of protein, cholesterol-lowering fiber, very good source of folate, manganese, thiamin (vitamin B1), phosphorus, iron, copper, magnesium, potassium and vitamin K. In addition to lowering cholesterol, kidney beans' high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising too rapidly after a meal, making these beans an especially good choice for individuals with diabetes, insulin resistance or hypoglycemia. Kidney beans are an excellent source of the trace mineral, molybdenum, an integral component of the enzyme sulfite oxidase, which is responsible for detoxifying sulfites. Just one cup of cooked kidney beans supplies 177.0% of the daily value for molybdenum.
My elder one loves taco and I make this quite often. I alternate between black bean and kidney bean to make the bean filling and use greek yogurt instead of sour cream. With the goodness of beans and veggie, they make a perfect anytime snack or a wholesome meal for kids.
For the bean filling
Cooked Kidney Beans - 1 1/2 cups(Rinsed and Drained)
Diced Tomatoes - 3/4 Cup
Chopped Onion - 1 (medium size)
Chopped Green Chilies - 1/4 cup (Adjust this according to your taste)
Garlic - 1 clove(minced finely)
Chili powder - 1 tablespoon (Adjust this according to your taste)
Ground Cumin - 1/2 teaspoon
Dried Oregano - 1 teaspoon
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste, the )
Garlic powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Pepper powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Mustard powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Canola or Sunflower oil - 1 tablespoon
Shredded low fat mexican blend cheese (rennetless) - 1/3 cup
Large Avocado peeled and cubed - 1
Cherry tomatoes washed, dried and halved - 1 cup
Chopped scallion - 1/2 cup
Chopped Cilantro - 1/4 cup
Salt - 1/2 tsp or to taste
Lemon juice - half or to taste
10 Taco Shells
Greek yogurt - 1/2 cup(optional)
1) In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
2) Stir in beans, tomatoes, chilies and seasonings, bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes until the mixture thickens and all the water is dried out.
3) Heat oven to 325 degrees F and place the tacos on a cookie sheet and bake for 6 to 7 minutes until crisp.
4) Combine all the garnishing ingredients, add salt and lemon juice and mix thorougly and gently and keep it aside. ( Add salt and lime juice just before serving otherwise, the garnishing ingredients will become watery).
5) Now spoon the bean filling to heated taco shells upto half the shell and top with the garnishing mix as mentioned in 4 and drizzle with greek yogurt for healther alternate to dressing or sour cream and serve immediately.
Note - Old EL Paso stand n stuff taco shells with no trans fat.
Received the following awards from Padma and Shubha.
Received a giant bear hug from Rohini. Thanks friends for sharing these awards with us, really feel happy about it.
1) This goes to JFI-Rajma hosted by Divya an event started by Indira.
2) This also goes to Kids Delight hosted by Srivalli.
Garnish the Dish hosted by Pavithra and Nithya.