Friday, May 1, 2009
K. Shah 1 comment
Know What you Eat : Sweet potato is rich in dietary fiber, naturally occurring sugars, complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron and calcium. It contains twice the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A, 42 percent of the recommendation for vitamin C, four times the RDA for beta carotene, and, when eaten with the skin, sweet potatoes have more fiber than oatmeal.
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 15 mins
Serves : 4
Sweet Potatos - 3 medium sized
Coconut Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Split Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Grated jaggery - 2 tbsp or to your taste
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp
Curry leaves - 1 tbsp
Water - 2 tbsp
1) Wash, rinse and cut potato into cubes.
2) Heat oil and add mustard seeds, after they splutter add urad dal and curry leaves.
3) Once the urad dal slightly browns add the cubed sweet potato ,salt and water .
4) Cover it and cook in medium heat till the sweet potato is thoroughly cooked by stirring now and then. Add water if required little by little as this is a dry curry.
5) Once the sweet potato is completely cooked add jaggery powder and grated coconut, mix thoroughly and switch off and serve.
This dish is our contribution to Srivalli's Mithai Mela hosted by Cooking 4 all Seasons.