Wednesday, May 27, 2009
K. Shah 14 comments
Know what you Eat - While all beans are exceptionally healthy foods when it comes to their protein and fiber content, it's the color coat on black beans that makes them particularly interesting in contrast to other beans. Researchers have found at least 8 different flavonoids in the black bean's color coat. Flavonoids are color-producing phytonutrients pigments that have great anti-oxidant potential. Barley and other whole grains are a rich source of magnesium, a mineral that acts as a co-factor for more than 300 enzymes, including enzymes involved in the body's use of glucose and insulin secretion.
I just love black beans because it is so healthy and when added to soup along with all the veggies and whole grains like barley it is a one pot dish with all the ingredients from different food groups.
Preparation Time - 15 mins
Cooking Time - 40 mins
Serves - 4
Black Bean - 1 cup
Whole barley(not pearl barley) - 1 cup
Chopped vegetables( i used beets,red,green,orange bell pepper, scallion and celery) - 4 cups
Salt - to taste
Lime juice - 1 tsp or to taste
Garlic - 4 cloves
Oregano - 1/2 tsp
Dry parsley - 1/2 tsp
Fresh ground black pepper - 1 tsp or taste
Mint leaves - handful
Oil - 2 tsp
1) Soak black bean and barley in hot water for at least 4 hours.
2) Add salt and little bit of water and pressure cook bean for 3 whistles.
3) Add enough water and salt and cook barley on stove top till tender stirring in between.
4) Rinse and drain black bean and barley and keep it aside.
5) Heat oil and add the chopped garlic and saute till becomes golden.
6) Now add the mint leaves and all the chopped vegetables, salt and cover it and cook till tender.
7) Add 3/4 of the quantity of black beans, all of the cooked barley to the vegetables.
8) Mash the remaining black beans with a masher and add it along with water to the desired consistency to the above.
9) Now add the oregano, parsley and simmer for five minutes, stirring thoroughly so that the spices are well mixed.
10) Switch of add fresh ground pepper and lemon juice and serve hot.