Friday, April 17, 2009
K. Shah No comments
Know What you Eat - Puffed rice is a type of puffed grain made from rice; usually made by heating rice kernels under high pressure in the presence of steam. Sprouting grains causes increased activities of hydrolytic enzymes, improvements in the contents of total proteins, certain essential amino acids, B-group vitamins, and a decrease in dry matter, starch and anti-nutrients.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 0
Puffed Rice - 4 Cups
Sprouted Beans(Black Chick Peas (kala chana) and Mung Bean (Vigna radiata)) - 2 Cups
Chopped Vegetables(Onion, Tomato, Green, Red and Yellow Bell Peppers, grated carrots) - 4 Cups
Roasted Peanuts - 2 Handfulls (Will add some crunch to the snack)
Cilantro - 1 small bunch
Tamarind(Indian Date) - 1 small lemon size ball
Jaggery(Panela - Unrefined Sugar rich in Iron) - 2 Table spoons (less or more to taste)
Green Chilli - 2 or to taste
Salt - 1 tsp or to taste
Water - 2 to 3 tablespoons
This is a very balanced snack with ingredients from all the food group - Carbohydrates, Protein and Raw vegetables. Kids will love this and will be a really filling, a good entree for after school snack.
1) Wash, rinse and drain cilantro. Soak tamarind in little bit of water to soften it.
2) Chop the drained cilantro and add the softened tamarind, green chilli, jaggery and salt and make a chutney in the blender.
3) Combine the puffed rice, sprouted beans, roasted peanuts, vegetables and add chutney to the mix and serve immediately.
4) Prepare this just before serving as puffed rice will become soggy if kept for a while.
5) Enjoy this guilt free snack any time of the day.