There are two types of cracked wheat available in Indian stores, one is just the broken wheat in which the grains will be little big and other one the grains will be small and it is a combination of the wheat germ and bran. The second one cooks faster than the first variety, if you are using the broken wheat double up the cooking time.Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 20 mins
Cracked wheat - 1/2 cup
Milk - 3 cups
Water - 1 cup
Saffron - few strands
Jaggery or raw sugar - 1/2 cup or to your taste
Chopped banana and mango - 1 cup
Ghee - 2 tsp
Chopped nuts and raisins - 1 table spoon
Elaichi powder - 1/2 tsp
1) Dry roast cracked wheat till you get a slight aroma.
2) Now add 1 cup of water and let the cracked wheat cook for 5 minutes.
3) Now add 2 cups of milk and few strands of saffron to the cracked wheat and leave it to cook completely, stirring in between
4) Once the cracked wheat is completely cooked add the powdered jaggery and leave it for 1-2 two minutes till the jaggery dissolves completely.
5) Let this pudding cool for few minutes, this will become little thick so add the remaining 1 cup of milk and the chopped fruit pieces(mango and banana).
6) Heat the ghee and roast the cashew and raisins and elaichi powder and garnish the pudding with the roasted nuts and raisins.
7) You can serve the pudding immediately or refrigerate without adding the ghee roasted nuts and raisins as this will taste much better absorbing the sweetness and flavor from the fruits and just before serving garnish with ghee roasted nuts and serve.