Adai is an authentic South Indian main dish made with a combination of rice and lentils. It can be had for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Cooking Time : 20 min
Preparation Time : 10-20 min
Serves 4 to 6.
Thoor Dhal - 1/2 cup
Channa Dhal - 1/2 cup
Whole green moong - 1 cup
Brown Rice - 1 cup
Split Urad Dhal - handful
Green or Red chilly - 1 or to taste
Salt to taste
Ginger - 1 inch piece.
Curry leaves - handful
Asafoetida - 1 small piece.
Onion - 1 finely chopped.
Method to make Adai
1) Rinse and soak the rice and dhal together for 2-3 hours.
2) Drain the water from the rice/dhal and add the ginger, curry leaves, green or red chilly, asafoetida and salt.
3) Use a blender and grind the above to little coarse mixture.
4) Add the chopped onions or you can use your own variation of grated cabbage, carrot, scallion etc to the batter.
5) Heat the iron griddle and pour a ladle full of the batter and make a round dosa, put a small hole(circle shape) in the center of the batter,
as it will evenly and quickly cook.
6) Pour a tsp of oil and once it is cooked on one side , turn and place the other side of the adai and remove it once cooked.
7) Serve it with avial, sambhar, chutney, milagai/Chutney powder.
This dish is our contribution to RCI-Pondicherry Cuisine, hosted by Lavi as an entry from Tamil Nadu. RCI was originally started by Lakshmi.