There is nothing like a hot bowl of chili on a cold winter day. It is the perfect combination
of protein, carbohydrates, spices and with colorful vegetables. Don’t be intimated
with the list of ingredients. Basically all you need is different beans, veggies and spices.
Kidney Beans – 3/4 cup
Chick Peas – 3/4 cup
White Beans – 1/4 cup
Pink Beans – 1/4 cup
Celery – 2 Stalks
Onion – 1 big
Green pepper – 1(Chopped into fine pieces)
Red pepper – 1(Chopped into fine pieces)
Carrot – 1(Chopped into small pieces)
Tomato – 5(Medium sized)
Garlic – 4 cloves(Chopped finely)
Jalapeno pepper – 2 (optional)
Cayenne Pepper – 2 tsp or more as per your taste
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp or per your taste
Bay leaves - 2
Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
Oregano leaves – 2 tsp
Water – 3/4th cup
Olive oil – 1 tbsp
Black pepper – 1 tsp(or to your taste)
Lemon juice – 1 tsp(optional to your taste)
1) Soak all the dry beans overnight and add salt and cook till tender.
2) Heat 2 to 3 cups of water till it reaches boiling and then place the tomatoes and
cover and keep it for 5 minutes.
3) Put a pan and heat a tsp of oil, once the oil is hot add the finely chopped
garlic and bay leaves.
4) Once the garlic is slightly browned, add the chopped onions and stir till it is
slightly brown now add celery, bell pepper, carrot, jalapeno peppers.
5) Saute for 10 minutes and now add the peeled and crushed tomatoes, water,
cayenne pepper, salt, cumin powder, oregano leaves and the cooked beans and
simmer for 30 minutes. Depending on your preference adjust the consistency by
adding more or less water.
6) Add black pepper and little bit of lemon juice and serve with a piece of corn bread.
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 20-30 minutes
Serves - 6
Stoneground Whole Cornmeal – 1 cup
Whole wheat flour – 1/4 cup
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
Buttermilk – 1 cup
Ener-g Egg replacer – 1 1/2 tsp
Water – 2 Tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp
1) Preheat the oven to reach 350 degree Fahrenheit.2) Combine all the dry ingredients – Cornmeal, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3) Take Ener-g egg replacer add water and beat till fluffy, now add the buttermilk and whip once again.
4) Now slowly add this to the dry ingredients and mix well.
5) Pour the batter into a parchment paper lined baking pan and bake for 20-30 minutes till a knife
inserted at the center comes out clean.
6) Remove the bread from the parchment paper and cool in a wire rack.
7) Once cooled slice and enjoy with your chili.
Event Participation1) The cornbread goes to Baking with Corn meal event hosted by Madhuram of eggless cooking.
2) The chili goes to MLLA 19th helping hosted by EC an event started by Susan.