Know what you Eat - Brown rice is good source of complex carbohydrate. It provides 15 essential nutrients, including B-vitamins, niacin and potassium. Brown rice is a very good source of selenium, which is essential for thyroid hormone metabolism and immune function. Pigeon peas are nutritionally important, as they contain high levels of protein and three important amino acids. Fruits and Vegetables contain essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber that may help protect you from chronic diseases. Compared with people who consume a diet with only small amounts of fruits and vegetables, those who eat more generous amounts as part of a healthful diet are likely to have reduced risk of chronic diseases, including stroke and perhaps other cardiovascular diseases, and certain cancers. Yogurt promotes intestinal health, improves lactose intolerance, builds stronger bones, enhances immunity, lowers blood pressure, and may even have anticancer and weight-loss effects. Almonds are low in saturated fat and contain many other protective nutrients - calcium and magnesium - for strong bones and vitamin E. Walnuts are a good source of fiber, protein and omega-3. Beans supply high quality protein which provides a healthy alternative to meat or other animal protein without containing the fat.
You know why i call this rainbow meals, it has all the colors and contain food from all the food group. I made this for couple of guests, yes Kids who had come over for sleep over and stayed for lunch the next day. I normally try to include food from all the food group during the normal days and that too now it is summer time and kids eat lunch at home back from vigorous activities from sports camps, i cook like this almost every day except for the dessert. We don't have the habit of having desserts except when we have guests.
Rainbow Brown Rice
Mixed Vegetable Raita/Pachidi
Boiled , rinsed and drained black eyed beans - 2 cups
Chopped tomatoes and yellow onions - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Lime juice to taste
Olive oil - 1 tsp(optional)
Cilantro - 2 tsp for garnishing
1) Soak black eyed beans for atleast two hours and pressure cook adding little bit of salt.
2) Once cooked wash, rinse and drain the water from the beans.
3) Add the chopped vegetables, beans, salt, pepper, lime juice, olive oil, cilantro and combine thorougly.
Fruits & Nut Dessert
Mango - 1
Apple - 1
Chopped Almonds - 2 tbsp
Chopped walnuts - 2 tbsp
Chopped Dates - 2 tbsp
Raisins - 1 tbsp
Honey or Maple syrup- 1 tbsp(optional)
Ghee (Clarified butter) - 2 tsp
Cardamom + Nutmeg powder - 1/2 tsp
1) Heat ghee and roast the nuts till golden.
2) Roast the raisins till they plump and remove.
3) Now add the cardamom + nutmeg powder, dates and the chopped mango and apple pieces and saute for a few seconds and switch off the stove.
4) Now add the nuts and honey or maple syrup to the fruit pieces and combine to serve.
1) All the above dishes go to What you are Cooking for your Guests hosted by Raji of Rak's Kitchen.
2) The Fruit & Nut dessert spiced with Cardamom & Nutmeg go to Think Spice - think spiced sweet treats hosted by Sunitha.
3) The black eyed bean salad goes to the 14th helping of My Legume Love Affair hosted by Susan.
4) This also goes to Well balanced three course meal event hosted by Yasmeen.