Cilantro is a good source of Iron and magnesium and is rich in phytonutrients, flavonoids and active phenolic acid compounds, all of which are good for you. They also contain contain an antibacterial compound that may prove to be a safe, natural means of fighting Salmonella, a frequent and sometimes deadly cause of foodborne illness.
Uthappam is savoury lentil & rice South Indian pancake stuffed with vegetables.
Cooking Time - 20 mins
Preparation Time - 10 mins(Excluding the batter)
Ingredients for Uthappam
White Urad Dal(White Lentil) - 1 cup
Boiled Rice(Idli rice - This is not polished white rice and will be slightly brown in color) - 2 1/2 cups
Salt to taste
Batter - 1 1/2 cups
Finely Chopped vegetables packed - 1 cup(Onion, Red & Green Bell Pepper, Grated Carrot)
Chopped Cilantro - 2 tbsp
Chopped Coconut pieces - 2 tbsp(not grated coconut)
Grated Ginger - 2 tsp
Finely Chopped Green Chilli - 1 tsp(optional)
Oil - 6 tsp
1) Rinse and drain Urad dal till you get a clear water. Now soak in enough water for 2-3 hours.
2) Rinse and drain Idli rice and soak in enough water for 6 hours.
3) Using a stone grinder/blender grind the urad dal adding the soaked water little by little till you get a smooth fluffy batter.
4) Now grind the rice into a fine paste adding water little by little.
5) Mix the Urad dal batter, Rice batter and Salt and mix them thoroughly.
6) Leave it over night for the batter to ferment nicely, on cold winter days switch on the oven light and leave the batter inside the oven overnight. The heat from the light will make the batter to ferment.
7) I use this batter for making Idli as well as Uthappam and this batter can be served for 3-4 people for 3-4 days.
8) Combine the chopped vegetables, cilantro, ginger, coconut and little bit of salt
9) For making Uthappam, heat a iron griddle once hot take a ladle of batter and on the top spread a handful of chopped mixed vegetables and pour a tsp of oil around the batter.
10) Cover it and cook for 2-3 mins in medium heat and once once side is well cooked and the batter on the top has changed color flip and now cook the other side without covering for a minute.
11) Once well cooked remove and serve with chutney of your choice.
12) I make different chutneys and the one in the photo is cilantro chutney and the recipe is as follows.
Cilantro (Kothamalli) Chutney
Cilantro - 1 bunch
Red chilli - 4 to 6 or to taste
Split Urad Dal - 2 tbsp
Asafoetida piece - small one(don't add lot of it, the food will be flavorful but will give a bitter taste)
Tamarind - Gooseberry sized ball
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Sal to taste
1) Chop the roots of the cilantro, wash, rinse and remove the thick stalks.
2) Now chop the cilantro leaves and thin stalks and keep it aside.
3) Soak the tamarind in little bit of hot water (1 tbsp) and set it aside.
4) Heat oil add mustard seeds, once they stop spluttering add asafoetida piece, red chilli and urad dal and saute till the dal slightly browns.
5) Now in a blender grind the red chilli, asafoetida and tamarind.
6) Now add the chopped cilantro and grind for few minutes(may be around 2 mins).
7) Add the roasted mustard seeds and urad dal to the cilantro and quickly grind once again for few seconds.
8) Serve it with Uthappam and enjoy