Thursday, May 21, 2009
K. Shah 12 comments
Know what you Eat:
Pineapple is an excellent source of the trace mineral manganese, which is an essential cofactor in a number of enzymes important in energy production and antioxidant defenses.In addition to manganese, pineapple is an excellent source of vitamin C and a good source of vitamin B1, copper, dietary fiber and vitamin B6. Among the many benefits of vitamin B1 is its ability to increase blood circulation and provide a greater supply of oxygen to the blood cells. In addition, vitamin B1 is known to help with the proper metabolism of carbohydrates, making it vital to good digestion.
I wanted to send something for tried and tasted: fatfree vegan kitchen event and found this recipe in fatfree vegan kitchen. I didn't deviate much from the original except for cutting down the sugar from 1/2 to 1/4 cup and using whole wheat pastry flour instead of whole wheat flour. The pastry flour gives a lighter texture than the regular whole wheat flour. I also baked it in muffin mould as it will bake quicker (also you know, how many you are eating) and my job was done in around 20 mins.
Preparation Time - 5-10 mins
Cooking Time - 15-20 mins
Serves - Around 10 cakes
Whole Oats - 1 Cup(I used old fashioned and ofcourse by food processor literally cried when making the flour).
Whole wheat flour - 1 cup
Raw sugar - 1/4 cup
Baking powder - 2 teaspoons
Baking Soda - 1/2 teaspoon
Ener-G Egg Replacer - 1 1/2 teaspoons
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Water - 3 tablespoons(if required add this, i didn't add as the pineapple juice was sufficient enough).
Apple cider vinegar - 1 tablespoon
Crushed pineapple in pineapple juice - 1 cup
Unsweetened Applesauce - 1/2 cup
Demerara sugar - 2 tablespoons
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
1) Put the oats in the blender and grind until fine thoroughly.
2) Combine oats powder, whole wheat pastry flour, salt, cinnamon powder, baking powder, baking soda, ener-g egg replacer, sugar.
3) Now add the crushed pineapple in pineapple juice, apple sauce, vinegar and water if required.
4) Stir to mix thoroughly.
5) Spray a muffin mould with cooking spray and fill till 3/4 .
6) Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle it on the top and bake in a preheated oven set to 350 F for 15-20 mins until a knife inserted comes out clean.
7) Once baked, let it cool for couple of minutes and enjoy these guilt free snack.