Good to Know - Barley is a very good source of fiber and selenium. It also serves as a good source of the minerals phosphorus, copper and manganese. When buying for barley look for hulled or whole barley as Pearl barley goes through various degrees of polishing, or "pearling". Pearl barley is much less chewy and quicker cooking than hulled barley, but it is also much lower in nutrients, and would not be considered whole grain.
Oats - 1/2 Cup
Whole barley - 1/2 Cup
Quinoa - 1/2 Cup
Whole wheat flour – 1/2 Cup
Brown Rice flour – 1/2 cup.
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Chia powder - 2 table spoons (chia is very good egg substitute)
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Apple Sauce - 1/2 Cup
Pineapple juice - 1/2 Cup
Pineapple Slices - 5
Chopped Pecans - handful
Dates - 5
Honey - 2 table spoons (You can make it to 1/2 cup or to taste, I made a kind of sugar free version so if you want make it sweeter)
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 table spoon
Water - 1 Cup
Method of Preparation
1) Chop the pineapple into small pieces.
2) Dry roast oats, whole barley and quinoa separately till the raw smell is gone.
3) Combine all of the above and grind it to a fine powder.
4) In a bowl combine Oats, whole barley, quinoa powder, brown rice flour, White Whole wheat flour, Baking powder, salt, Cinnamon powder, chopped pecans, Chia powder, chopped dates.
5) Mix the dry ingredients well and add the Oil, chopped pineapple and pine apple juice, honey and apple sauce.
6) Add water and mix the batter well. This batter should be much thicker than pancake batter.
7) Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
8) Pour this batter to muffin mould (you can pour 3/4 or full as it doesn't raise much) and bake for 20 mins till a knife inserted comes out clean.
9) The muffin was not hard nor very soft and fluffy but tasted good and is very nutritious because of all the whole grains.
10) This muffin wasn't very sweet, so if you want can increase the quantity of honey or serve this with fruit preserve if required and have as a healthy breakfast and as a guilt free snack.
1) Sending this to Whole Grain Baking Event - Brown Rice hosted by Madhuram of Eggless Cooking.Cooking Time: 20 mins
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Serves – 12 muffins